by Sandra O’Conner, Howard Hanna
The Top Five “Must Do” Items to Prepare Your Home for Sale.
These ideas from home inspector and general contractor Greg Mc Innerney are right on the money based on his business expertise, and my own experiences selling homes for many years.
- Hire a home inspector to do a pre-listing inspection. They will suggest repairs that will save you time, money and aggravation during your sale process and may include some of the following items. We often become blind to some of the quirks in our own home.
- Mechanical maintenance—attend to any plumbing items like a leaky faucet or running toilet. Do a professional furnace and air conditioner cleaning and inspection, and address any electrical repairs needed.
- Check your windows and doors for smooth opening and closing, then clean, adjust and lubricate as needed.
- Exterior maintenance—clean siding where dirt and mildew build up, and clean the gutters so they do not clog the downspouts and cause water problems. Check roofs for any needed repairs and cleaning.
- Take a look at your landscaping and trim back bushes and trees away from the house. Remove or replace any dead or overgrown greenery that detracts from the appeal of the house.
Greg Mc Innerney can be reached at 440 478 2229 for questions, inspections and home improvements.